Roguelike Unity Tutorial and Pixel addendum

Work on the fifth Unity 3D tutorial has finally begun. It’s a roguelike game. I’m still in the early stages of the development, but today I want to write a little bit about the modifications I’m planning to do to the default tutorial.

2droguelike_projectheader

This is what the regular game is supposed to look like when it’s finished. This is not a full screenshot. For some reason they’ve chosen a really weird aspect ratio of 1:1 with the game area being roughly 320×320 pixels. Maybe the reason behind that will unveil itself later in the tutorial.

That’s the first thing I’ll be changing: Aspect ratio and resolution. I’ll probably have to modify a number of scripts to work with the new resolution and level size, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

Luckily my half-done tileset is using the same tile size as this tutorial, so I won’t have to work around that. I’ll also change the setting and hopefully the lackluster interface as well.

Because my tileset is slightly more complex I will have to extend the randomization script quite a bit to generate levels that use the tileset correctly. It’s nothing big, but still, I will have to change a lot in the tutorial.

I’m really excited for this one, because it’s the first time I’ll deviate heavily from the default path. Something I should have done earlier, but this time I can mess around with the art, which is a huge plus. With tutorials like the Stealth game, I couldn’t even begin to meddle with the 3D models, textures and animation rigging.

Roguelike?

Well it barely qualifies as a roguelike. I’ll check if there’s any definition of what qualifies as a roguelike. If possible, I’d like to expand the gameplay as well and get closer (at least slightly) to an actual roguelike. But I won’t go overboard, because I also have plans for expanding the whole thing to a more fully fleshed out game. You know, title screen, menus and stuff like that. Nothing major, but I’m pretty sure going from a hand-held tutorial project to a semi finished game will multiply the amount of work required.

For the graphics I’m going to use an older tileset, nothing spectacular, I was working on a couple of years ago, but never got around to finishing. This is a perfect opportunity to dust off those pixels and finally put them to good use.

roguelike lighting

I’m still unsure how to handle lighting with my tileset. Here’s a bunch of tests I did a while ago.

Pixel addendum

Regarding my previous article series about things that annoy me in modern pixel style games, I remembered one more thing while I was playing an old school style adventure game made with the Adventure Game Studio. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fantastic tool and I’ve really enjoyed (and actually finished!) a bunch of titles made with the engine.

The engine runs at 640×480, but a bunch of games use the old 320×240 resolution for sprites and backgrounds. Which is fine, until the player character moves into the distance, causing the engine to scale the sprite down. The sprite and scenery look like 320×240, but are actually 640×480 so the engine scales the sprite in 640×480 and that makes the sprite look very much out-of-place. And it seems to be scaling with a bicubic (don’t quote me on that) scaler and not with nearest neighbor scaling. But even the latter would look weird, because the resolution doesn’t match.

That’s it. Weird scaling in non-matching resolutions. For the life of me I couldn’t find a screenshot of the effect in the games I played.

Miscellaneous

I’ve been using computers for the last 25+ years and from a very slow typer, I became more proficient in using the keyboard quickly. I’ve never gotten around to learning actual touch typing with 10 fingers. I’ve made a few short lived attempts to rectify the situation, but to no avail.

My current keyboard
My current keyboard

Recently I started another round at improving my typing quality. Not actually the speed, I’m more than happy with my 5-7 finger typing speed (around 350-500 characters per minute, depending on the material), but my error rate is a little bit on the high side and I struggle with typing special characters quickly (I can’t type source code at that speed…not even close).

So for the last week I’ve been practicing daily and I’m slowly getting used to using all fingers properly. My error rate is down, I can already use the full keyboard, but my typing speed is still very low. Around 150 characters per minute (no errors), but even with error prone speed, I can barely crack 200 characters per minute.

I’ll keep at it for a while and hope I can at least get to around 400 characters per minute with little to no errors while typing. Let’s hope for the best, it’ll surely take a while, but actually I’m amazed how fast I progress, even though my current typing method has been engraved in my brain for the last 20+ years.